Toyota Prius Plug-in Forum

It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detailed Price Information for Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:46 am 

Plug-in hybrids are a category of electrified vehicles situated between conventional (no-plug) hybrids and pure EVs. While there are so few cars in the category, it’s instructive to compare the economics of the two front-runners: the Prius Plug-in Hybrid and the Chevrolet Volt.

Volt buyers get the full federal EV tax credit of $7,500—because of its larger battery pack. But Prius PHEV owners get something: the smaller credit of $2,500. Still, the Prius overall will cost about $2,000 less after you figure in the tax credits.

The Volt is often portrayed as the efficiency leader because it goes much further before its batteries are depleted—about 35 miles compared to just 11 or so with the Prius. But you also need to look at mpg of the car after the batteries have been depleted. The Prius provides 49 miles per gallon when running just like a hybrid, but the Volt only manages 37 miles per gallon when the gas engine is being used to sustain battery charge.

Which vehicle will cost more to drive depends on how far you commonly go between charges.

Here’s the short answer: Assuming a gas price of $3.50 and electricity at 11 cents per kilowatt-hour, the Volt’s bigger battery makes it cheaper to operate as long as you drive 70 miles or less between charges. At distances of greater than 70 miles, the Prius PHEVs’ greater fuel economy as a hybrid makes it cheaper to operate.

This is only one scenario, and the conclusions may change if the price of gasoline goes up or down, or depending on the cost of electricity in your neighborhood. Also, the calculations for both vehicles assume that the gas engine is not engaged until the full electric driving range is completed, which may not be true depending on driving conditions and driver behaviors.

For some buyers, the competition isn’t the Volt, or even the Nissan LEAF. It’s the top-of-line existing Prius—the established version without plug-in capability—that goes for around $29,000. In other words, consumers wanting stellar fuel economy will soon be able to choose between a 50-MPG Prius with all the available bells and whistles—or the one that by plugging will earn an estimated MPG-equivalent of 87 miles to the gallon.

Toyota also sells an “Advanced” Plug-in Hybrid with bonus features such as heads-up display, a nice audio system, and LED headlamps. That one goes for $39,525, minus the tax credit. Bob Carter, group vice president and general manager of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., told me that Toyota expects 70 percent of the expected 15,000 Prius Plug-in Hybrid sold in the first year to be the lower priced version.

Post subject: Re: Detailed Price Information for Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybr
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:21 pm 

With the $4,000 rebate and the reduced sticker price our drive off price was a little less than $28,000 and we still have the $2,500 tax credit coming. So net price will be around $25,500 an excellent price on a quality car. We do have the standard model, the only options were the paint (Pearl White) and floor mats. Sticker price was $31,240. These cars have most every option someone would need don't know why you would buy the upgrade packages. We bought ours from Elk Grove Toyota, I did all of the transaction via internet and email. Was a smooth easy transaction and I would highly recommend the dealership, Jon Thompson and Brian Rea.

Fred

PS I traded in my 2012 Corvette GS and they gave me $2,000 more than any other place I contacted.